Food…. It can be our emotional go to and mindless munch fest. Our comfort when the going gets tough and things just are not going right in some area of our life. It’s just to easy nowadays to go and grab that bag of potato chips and mindlessly eat the whole bag while watching our favorite drama or chick flick.
It’s time that we take steps to get away from doing this mindless and emotional eating disaster!
1. Recognize what time of day that it is when you do this and is it a pattern?
- Do you sit on the couch and start eating just before bed?
- When you get home from work and just start to relax for a few moments?
2. When you figure out when you start the mindless munch fest plan on doing something different at that time.
- If you tend to eat late at night watching TV, try reading a book in bed instead- you wouldn’t want yucky crumbs in bed right?
- If it’s in the middle of the day chances are you are dehydrated, so go drink a glass or two of water.
- Instead of eating try working out instead, instead of sitting on the couch and watching TV lay on the floor and do some crunches, stretches or any kind of floor exercise.
- Start a journal and write in it every time you feel the urge to snack when you really are not that hungry.
- Do anything that will help you to get your mind off of the snacking.
- Rid your house of the munchies that you tend to grab.
This can be one thing that is done out of habit and we need you to break that habit. So, if you tend to do this every day make a goal to only snack at those times 2 days next week and not the whole week. Sometimes you need to take baby steps in order to make lasting life long changes. Making drastic changes all at once can sometimes make you feel like you are missing something or just feel like you are giving up to much so just take it one day at a time.
Take it one step at a time!